The term ‘cosmetic dentistry’ refers to aesthetic aspects of the treatment; another way of saying treatments to improve appearance, and there are quite a few dental treatments that fall into this category, which we outline in this short article.
- Dental implants – Every cosmetic dentist would offer dental implant treatment, which is a permanent solution to missing teeth. Whether a single tooth lost during a game of footie, or a complete set of denture replacements, dental implants are the best solution to missing teeth. There are several methods of anchoring prosthetic teeth to the gums; the most common is to insert titanium pins into the jaw. If this is not possible due to poor bone density, a wire frame can be fitted at the gumline, which supports the prosthetic. Australians love to smile, it’s in our nature and you feel so much more confident with dental implants.
- Porcelain veneers – If your smile is a little on the crooked side, what better way to change that than veneers? A skilled cosmetic dentist can transform your smile by attaching individual porcelain veneers, giving you a Hollywood smile. Book an initial consultation with the dentist and you can discuss the various options.
- Invisalign – The next generation of braces, clear-plastic aligners gently straighten the teeth and these devices are removable, which is great! If you would like to know more about clear-plastic aligners, make an appointment at your nearest cosmetic dental clinic and the healthcare professional can examine you and determine suitable treatment. It should be noted there are other tooth straightening treatments, such as steel wire braces and other clear-plastic aligners. Click here for 7 tips for a whiter smile.
- Laser teeth whitening – We all want a whiter smile and with today’s laser treatment, anyone can go a couple of shades lighter. The dentist is the best solution; there are home kits, but the results are not as good as when a dentist carries out the treatment. Talk to your local dentist about teeth whitening and he or she can explain how it works and which treatment is suitable for you.
- Crown – A single tooth can often be filed down to a peg and a crown (prosthetic tooth) fitted, this is a cost-effective way to repair a tooth, providing the root is healthy. The false tooth is either made of porcelain or acrylic and perfectly matches your real teeth.
- Bridge – A bridge is several teeth on an acrylic plate, which is worn like dentures, which might be connected to the two teeth on either side. This was the go-to treatment for missing teeth before implants were on the scene and dentists are happy to recommend a bridge as an affordable alternative to dental implants.
As you can see, there are quite a few cosmetic dental treatments that you can receive at your local clinic and with regular oral examinations, your teeth and gums will be strong and healthy.