Back pain can have a big impact on a person’s life, affecting their sleep, working life, and personal life. Fortunately, there are a number of different treatments that a back pain sufferer can turn to help provide quick relief.
In this article, we will discuss what relieves back pain fast, looking at both natural and medically-prescribed treatments. As well as the various surgery options that are available.
What causes Back Pain?
There are a large number of causes of back pain, whether it is lower back pain, upper back pain, or mid-back pain. Below is a list of possible reasons a person may be suffering from pain or discomfort in the back.
- Muscle strains or pulls
- Ligament strains or pulls
- A sprain
- A Herniated Disc
- Spinal Stenosis
- Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS)
- A Tumor
- A Spine Infection
Many of the conditions above can be worsened by things like maintaining a poor posture, a lack of exercise, overexertion when exercising, or being overweight.
Natural Ways to relieve Back Pain Fast
If your pain is not too severe and does not warrant medical attention, you may want to consider natural methods to help your back problems subside.
- Anti-Inflammatory Drinks
Anti-inflammatory drinks can boost the number of antioxidants and other helpful agents in your bloodstream. Over time, these agents can help to reduce any inflammatory reactions in your body that cause pain.
Anti-inflammatory drinks that you could consume on a regular basis include:
- Turmeric Milk – The Asian spice, Turmeric is world-renowned for its healthy properties, containing anti-inflammatories, antioxidants, and anti-arthritic properties. Turmeric can be added to a glass of warm milk, in addition to honey or another sweetener for a calming and healthy drink. For an even healthier option, you could also consider a plant-based milk alternative.
- Cherry Juice – Cherries are rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents, helping to relieve muscle pain. Drinking a glass of cherry juice on a daily basis can help to ease your back pain in a natural way.
- Green Tea with Ginger – Herbal Green Tea infused with Ginger has many benefits in terms of natural pain relief and can be incorporated into your diet as an alternative to your afternoon cup of coffee.
- Better Sleep
A good night’s sleep ensures your back will feel less sore the following day, therefore, 7 nights of consecutive adequate sleep can have a big impact on your back, while also helping you feel less stressed.
Natural supplements that can help give you a better night’s sleep include:
- Vitamins C & B6 – These natural steroids help to control your metabolism and promote a better night’s sleep. Vitamins C10 and B611 in particular are recommended for regulating hormones.
- Melatonin – Melatonin is the body’s natural sleep hormone and can be taken as a supplement.
- Valerian – This supplement comes from the root of the Valerian plant and can help people fall asleep faster and remain asleep for longer.
- L-theanine – L-theanine is an amino acid that is often found in tea leaves, helping people feel more relaxed.
- Check Your Posture
Always pay attention to your posture and avoid excessive sitting down as this places pressure on your spinal discs. If your job entails sitting down at a desk, then try to take regular breaks and walk around for a few minutes at a time. Standing desks are also a great option to protect your back.
Stretching exercises and Yoga are recommended for helping to stretch your back and improve the health of your muscles and joints. These exercises can also improve blood circulation and help valuable nutrients reach every part of your body. Increasing flexibility in your spine with regular Yoga sessions can significantly reduce the chances of back problems.
Meditation is a proven method for improving concentration, releasing endorphins, and reducing stress levels. Advanced meditation techniques can also help you control how your body manages pain.
- Water Exercise
Water allows you to exercise without placing too much strain on your muscles, resulting in less pain. Not only this, but water can also help to regulate muscle and nerve functions. Check if your local gym has a hydrotherapy pool, as the pain-relieving qualities are increased in the warmer water of between 83-88 degrees Fahrenheit.
Medical Treatments to relieve Back Pain
If you have tried a number of natural treatment methods to no avail then it is probably time to have your back checked out by a medical professional. Your doctor can recommend and prescribe a range of treatments and pain relief. Let’s take a look at some of the options.
- Physical Therapy – A Physical Therapist can help to restore mobility and function in your back using a range of techniques, including massage.
- Heat Patches – It is always handy to carry heat patches around with you so one can be applied whenever you feel a flare-up. This continuous supply of heat can effectively reduce pain levels and are very easy to apply.
- Ice Packs/ Cold Compress – In a similar way to heat, an ice pack or cold compress can provide effective pain relief. It is an easy and cheap way to relieve back pain fast.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) – NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, and others) or naproxen sodium (Aleve) can help to provide very fast-acting pain relief.
Traditional Spine Surgery for Back Pain
The most common form of back surgery is spinal decompression combined with spinal fusion. This is often recommended for spinal stenosis and spondylolisthesis. This type of surgery works by removing part of the vertebrae known as the lamina to create more space in the spine. The affected vertebra is then fused to the adjacent vertebra using rods, screws, and a bone graft to provide stability.
This surgery can be effective in terms of providing long-term pain relief, however, it can significantly reduce mobility in the spine and could result in damage to other vertebrae after a period of time.
Alternative Spine Surgery to relieve Back Pain
Many people are now turning to a TOPS System as an alternative to spinal fusion. The Premia Spine TOPS System’s advantages include maintaining full mobility in the spine and the reduced chance of damage to adjacent vertebrae. If you require surgery to relieve pain caused by a spinal condition then it is recommended to discuss the possibility of installing a TOPS system with your doctor.
Thank you for reading.