Do you find it problematic to sit in office after having lunch? Do you look for excuses to roam around because you feel packed even after having little portions? Do not worry. We have come up with a list of easy to digest foods.
Indigestion is a problem which not only makes you feel uneasy; it can also put you in embarrassing situations at times. Although a very common problem, it can lead to reduced efficiency. There are many remedies to prevent and cure indigestion- Detox Drinks, Herbal Teas, OTC (Over the Counter) Medicines etc. which are absolutely fine to be tried. But isn’t it wiser to first look into the foods we eat.
Some foods are hard on stomach whereas there are certain foods which are easy to digest. It is better to opt for foods which don’t put strain on our digestive system to keep the dreadful indigestion at bay.
We have compiled a list of 15 foods that are easy to digest:
1. White Rice: Rice, infamous for its carbohydrate content, is easy on stomach. White rice is a better choice when it comes to easily digestible food.
Brown rice, no doubt, finds a more respectable position amongst dieters as it has more fibre. White rice is processed and lacks in nutrients and fibre. It is this property which makes it an easy to digest food. It has almost zero fibre because of which it is digested in no time.
2. Egg White: Egg is recognized as a healthy breakfast in many cultures across the globe. It is recommended to people with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) symptoms of which include indigestion, gas, flatulence, bloating and constipation.
Egg white is a good option when it comes to addressing the digestion issues as it is purely protein. Egg yolk, on the other hand, is fat. Fatty foods take a toll on digestive system. So it is advised to stick to egg white if you are someone who frequently has indigestion problems.
3. Ripe Banana: Banana is considered to be a super food all over the world, as they can be considered a full-fledged meal because of high dose of nutrients and feeling of fullness they give.
This superfood is super easy to digest. It contains a lot of potassium which people with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) often lack. Bananas are also rich in Vitamin B, Vitamin C, Magnesium and Enzymes.
All the vitamins, minerals and enzymes in banana make the digestion easier. Banana is often recommended to people in conditions like diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting.
Just take care to have ripe banana. It is even better if you could lay your hands on the ones which have started to show black spots.
4. Yoghurt: Yoghurt is very gentle on stomach. Loaded with enzymes and probiotics, it not only gets digested easily rather aids in digestion of other foods as well.
It is known to cure upset stomach by soothing the inflammation of intestines which in turn improves the functioning of the gut.
One should however be careful to avoid flavoured yoghurt.
5. Toasted Bread: Toasted bread contains some molecules which are not there in untoasted bread. These molecules are formed during the process of toasting. It is because of these molecules that it finds a place in the list of easy to digest foods and is a go to bland diet when one has an upset stomach.
6. Avocados: Avocadoes, rich in good fat which lowers down the cholesterol level, have abundance of Vitamin C, Vitamin K and Potassium. When you eat avocados, you get a good dose of digestion friendly soluble and insoluble fibre.
7. Poultry: Poultry, particularly Turkey and chicken, is zero in fat and fibre. Fat and fibre are the components of a food item which make it hard to digest.
Skin of turkey and chicken, however, contains some fat. Other parts are pure protein. So it is recommended not to eat skin. You can have these foods items baked or boiled. Frying will make it fatty making it stubborn on the intestines.
These are the foods which are sumptuous, nutritious and easily digestible. Rarely does such a combination of luxury and health exist.
8. Papaya: Papaya has lots of digestive enzymes. Not only is papaya itself easy to digest, but it aids in digestion of other foods as well.
If taken empty stomach, it reduces the inflammation of intestines thus improving the overall digestive health.
9. Prunes: We have been repeatedly emphasising low fibre means easy to digest. Contrary to our focus on low fibre foods for easy digestion, we have added prunes to our list which are very popular for high fibre content.
It is to be noted that prunes are rich in both soluble and insoluble fibres which makes them very kind to our digestive system. Moreover, their laxative properties put the intestines in action inducing the bowel movement.
10. Pressed and Cooked Oatmeal: Pressed and well cooked oatmeal is a great breakfast option for those looking for an easily digestible food. A bowl will keep you going throughout the day without making you bloated and gassy.
A handful of digestible fruits like papaya and prunes can be added to enhance its nutritive value.
11. Salmon: Salmon is one of the few foods which are both delicious and light on stomach. So you don’t need to suppress your urge to have a wonderful meal during bad tummy days. Just grab a salmon.
12. Beetroot: Beetroot is rich in Betaine, which detoxifies the liver; thus improving its functioning. A better functioning liver simply means better digestion.
13. Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes are rich in magnesium and digestion friendly fibre, both of which make it easy to digest. Presence of starch is like an icing on the cake, which makes it even more soft on stomach.
14. Potato: Potato is very low in fibre. Peeled potato has even lesser fibre. Very low fibre makes it easily digestible. All you have to take care is to cook the potato well and take its skin off.
If you want to make a delicious snack by adding milk to mashed potatoes, choose low fat milk. People with digestion problems must not take dairy fat.
15. Apple: An Apple a Day, Keeps the Doctor Away, must have an evidence to have become a popular proverb worldwide.
Apart from the nutritional benefits, apple contains pectin, a kind of soluble fibre which is very easy to digest. Pectin’s binding abilities with cholesterol and toxins, helps body to get rid of them, thus improving the digestive tract.
Apart from including above mentioned foods in diet, there are certain foods that you should avoid if you have hard time after having meals. One should abstain from dairy products, acidic foods like lemon, oranges, grapefruits; fatty foods like red meat, cheese, ice cream; fried stuff, processed food, artificial sweeteners, alcohol and caffeine etc.
A change in diet is a very good habit to adopt when you are having trouble digesting food. If it is coupled with a fixed eating schedule; exercise; good sleeping habits like early to bed, early to rise and a minimum eight hours of sleep; quitting smoking and liquor; managing stress; staying hydrated; you will feel the incredible difference.
Lastly but the most important, don’t hesitate to see a doctor if symptoms get worse and persist for a long period of time.
We wish for your healthy tummy and gut ☺
I found here very valuable information for health, congratulate the author for such a good article!
Comments are closed.