Not everyone has the time for intensive skin care, and if that’s the case, there’s no reason why you can’t pamper yourself at home. Good skincare comes from a healthy lifestyle and general knowledge of what is good and what is bad for our skin.
Of course, it is always much easier to have a professional take a look at your specific skin issues. If that is what you are searching for. As for those who do not have the time to visit a skin care clinic but would still like to improve their skin by having an anti-wrinkle injections and other cosmetic procedures, here are the top five tips that will set you on the right path.
1. Protect your skin from the sun!
One of the often-overlooked causes of aging is the sun. Some of us love to bask in the sun to get that perfect summer tan, but did you know that this kind of exposure is making your skin look older? A lifetime of sun exposure will cause age spots and wrinkles and can cause a lot of other problems.
Protect your skin from the sun!
How to protect yourself from the sun:
- Using sunscreen – one of the most obvious ways to protect your skin from the sun is to use sunscreen on a daily basis. You should use an SPF of at least 15 and apply it generously. It is also a good idea to reapply it every two hours or more often if you are exposed to the sun, such as being on the beach or pool.
- Shade is your friend – another great way to protect your skin from the sun is to seek shade. The rays are the strongest between 10 am and 4 pm, which is when you should try to avoid them as much as possible.
- Wear protective clothes – covering up is also a great way to protect yourself from the sun. Covering your skin with tightly woven long-sleeved clothes, wide-brimmed hats, and long pants is always a good idea.
2. Be gentle towards your skin!
While daily cleansing is seen as a healthy way to treat skin, it can take a toll on your skin sooner or later, not to mention daily shaving! Here are some tips on how to treat your skin gently:
- Limited bath time – considering that hot water and long showers can remove natural oils from our skin, limiting your shower time is a good idea. The same goes for bath time!
- Shave carefully – to properly protect your skin, you should apply shaving cream, lotion, or gel before you shave. Use a clean and sharp razor, and shave in the direction of the hair growth.
- Pat dry – whether you have just shaved or cleaned your face, do not rub it to dry it. Instead, pat it gently with a clean towel or a cloth.
- Product quality is important – what kind of products are you using? Try to avoid strong soaps or any product that can strip your skin from natural oils. Instead, use mild cleansers and moisturize your skin regularly.
3. Smoking is bad
Everyone already knows this, but smoking is bad not only for your health but also for your skin. Smoking contributes to wrinkles and will make your skin look much older. As the small blood vessels in your outermost layers of skin start to narrow, the blood flow decreases and makes your skin look pale. This also causes the skin to deplete oxygen and nutrients that make our skin healthy.
Smoking damages elastin and collagen, the fibers that are essential to giving your skin elasticity and strength. In addition, it increases your risk of squamous cell skin cancer. So, what is the best way to protect your skin? Quit smoking!
4. Lifestyle is important
From eating a healthy diet, to properly exercising and managing your stress… there are some lifestyle changes that might be necessary to help your skin heal. Following a healthy diet can help you not only look great but also feel amazing!
It is also a good idea to incorporate some supplements into your diet! However, this will have no impact on your life if you experience a lot of stress on a daily basis? Finding a way to manage your stress can be difficult, but there are many methods that can help, such as meditation, yoga, etc.
There are many ways you can relieve stress
A lot of things can affect the appearance of our skin, from exposure to the sun to our lifestyle choices. If you want to have better skin quality, the above tips are surely going to help! As for those who need some additional help, there are many skin care clinics that can offer professional help.