Face masks are a hot topic given the current pandemic. While they have become a part of the daily wardrobe for the general population only recently, using face masks is essential in the healthcare industry.
Face masks are a necessity for healthcare workers with or without the pandemic. To purchase them for your facility easily, you can click here and explore your options. It comes as no surprise that medical professionals have a lot of advice to give when it comes to selecting the right one.
Importance of Selecting the Right Face Mask
The right face mask helps protect healthcare workers from being infected. Workers in the healthcare industry are constantly exposed to radiations, biohazardous waste, and, more importantly, infectious diseases. It is essential to protect workers from these diseases, not only to ensure that they do not cause a spread of these infections to other patients they treat but also to ensure the health of the workers.
Hence, the proper government bodies have established specific guidelines for manufacturing and supplying masks to healthcare facilities. It is essential to select the right masks for every procedure to ensure:
- Safety from new pathogens or antibacterial resistant bacteria
- Reduce the risk of facial exposure to infectious bodily fluids
- To help strengthen efforts to protect the health of healthcare workers.
What You Need to Know About Selecting Face Masks
To ensure safety and the comfort of the healthcare worker, there are four “F’s” that help in aiding the correct selection of masks. They are:
- Filtration: When it is suspected that the patient has aerosol transmissible diseases, or when there is smoke generating equipment present in the area, masks that allow proper filtration need to be used. The masks used in such cases are N95 respirators; these masks also protect against residual smoke.
- Fluid Resistance: If it is suspected that there may be fluid splatter such as blood, then workers are advised to wear fluid-resistant masks, such as ASTM Level 3. These masks are especially recommended for the OR.
- Features: Specific masks are recommended for specific situations. In the OR, masks with ties rather than ear loops are preferred, or for those who face fogging issues, the anti-fog film is preferred. In several cases, wearing protective eyewear is also recommended, along with the use of masks.
- Fit: Whether or not you have the right mask does not matter if it does not fit you properly. Workers should ensure that they secure their masks correctly and wear them without leaving any gaps. The mask should securely cover the nose and mouth, creating a protective seal to reduce exposure to diseases through inhalation.
Following these selection criteria, it is easier to secure a supply of masks for healthcare facilities. Some providers specialise in providing protective equipment to medical facilities. When you select professional providers who specifically produce masks for the healthcare industry, you can be assured that they fit the right standards.
Selecting the right face mask for different providers is a necessity to protect healthcare workers. Ensuring that the mask fits the right guidelines goes a long way to prevent the spread of diseases. The mask should protect you but also be comfortable and breathable as well.