What if I tell you that Vitamin C for skin whitening really works???
Vitamin C has an important place not only in healthcare, but it holds a place of privilege in skincare and beauty as well. Vitamin C can give a flawless and younger looking skin apart from improving overall health and boosting immunity.
Our body does not form Vitamin C on its own. It has to be supplied from outside to prevent its deficiency. Good thing is that it is found in many foods that we consume daily.
Main sources of Vitamin C
Main sources of Vitamin C are:
- Citrus fruits like lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit etc.
- Other fruits: mango, kiwi fruit, guava, papaya, pineapple, watermelon, tomatoes
- Berries- strawberries, cranberries, raspberries
- Vegetables: cauliflower, peppers- red and green, spinach, cabbage, potatoes-sweet and white
How does Vitamin C work for better skin?
1. Vitamin C is full of antioxidants. Antioxidants are compounds that fight free radicals in body. Free radicals are released by body when:
- we are exposed to sun
- we consume tobacco or alcohol
- our bodies break down food
Free radicals are one of the main factors responsible for ageing. Too much of free radicals may increase the chances of cancer, arthritis or heart diseases. Vitamin C fights free radicals in body, thus slows down the ageing and may prevent or delay the onset of many dreadful diseases.
2. Vitamin C controls melanin production by inhibiting tyronisase, which is one of the enzymes that increase the rate of production of melanin in skin. Less of tyronisase means lesser melanin, thereby giving you a lighter skin tone.
3. Vitamin C acts as a mild exfoliator. Its topical application gently removes the upper dead layer of the skin; exposing the fresh whiter new skin.
4. It boosts the production of collagen, thereby making the skin plump and reducing the appearance of wrinkles.
5. Enough of Vitamin C in body assists in faster recovery of any kind of skin damage as it is vital element in replenishment and regeneration of new skin cells.
ways to use Vitamin C for skin whitening
There are various ways to use Vitamin C for skin whitening. It can be used in one or more of the following ways:
1. HAVE PLENTY OF VITAMIN C IN YOUR DIET: A healthy skin is which glows from within. It can be achieved by including sufficient amount of Vitamin C in diet. Eat a lot of oranges, grapes, kiwi fruit, strawberries, cranberries, raspberries, pineapple, mangoes, guava, broccoli, bell peppers, spinach, watermelon, cabbage, sweet potatoes and white potatoes. Why go the synthetic way i.e. pills, when nature has gifted us with abundant sources of Vitamin C?
If you want to maximize the amount of Vitamin C from the above mentioned foods, take them in raw form. Cooking leads to loss of Vitamin C.
2. VITAMIN C SUPPLEMENTS: One can take Vitamin C supplements to enhance its level in body. These are available OTC (Over the Counter) in both pill and capsule form. Its dosage can vary between 500-1500 mg per day. It should however not exceed 2000 mg in a day. Its effects on skin will start showing within a couple of days as you may start attracting complements for the improved skin tone.
3. Topical application of vitamin C: Vitamin C can be applied topically to have faster results. Plenty of Vitamin C creams and serums are available at local pharmacies. But these are a bit on costlier side.
If you feel that these creams and serums are too heavy on your pocket, you can try the following DIYs:
- DIY VITAMIN C SERUM: Take 10 ml of glycerine. Add two crushed Vitamin C tablets/ half teaspoon of Vitamin C powder. Store it in dark coloured airtight glass bottle. Apply it every night on the target area.
A peculiar thing about Vitamin C is that it is quite unstable. It gets disintegrated at a very fast rate. Any exposure to sunlight and air will start its disintegration and it will lose its effectiveness in a matter of few days. So consider it mandatory to store it in a dark coloured glass bottle at a cool place and don’t make it in large batches.
It is for this reason that potency and effectiveness of drugstore Vitamin C creams and serums is always questionable.
- DIY VITAMIN C MASK: Add crushed tablets/ powder of Vitamin C to raw organic honey to get a mask like consistency. Apply it on face and neck. Leave it on for 20-25 minutes. Wash with lukewarm water. Do it three times a week.
- ADD VITAMIN C TO FACE PACKS: Add Vitamin C tablets/ powder to face pack of your choice.
- APPLY VITAMIN C RICH FRUITS ON FACE IN FORM OF MASK: Apply masks made from fresh berries or pulp of watermelon and kiwi etc.
- LEMON JUICE/ ORANGE JUICE: Lemon juice and orange juice can be applied directly on the target area to get a fairer and even skin tone.
A WORD OF CAUTION:
Topical application of Vitamin C may cause sensitivity to sunlight. One should avoid prolonged exposure to sun when using Vitamin C topically. Its use should be restricted to night time or when you are sure of staying indoors. Use of heavy duty sunscreen is highly recommended.
So if you have been longing for whiter skin and skin whitening products in market have disappointed you, give Vitamin C a try. I m sure you will not be disappointed anymore for it will surely work. Use Vitamin C for skin whitening orally or topically.
Wish you happy and successful skin whitening!!!