As we age, our skin loses its ability to produce collagen — a protein that keeps the skin plumped up —and hence wrinkles & fine lines start becoming visible.
In the last one decade or so, the skincare industry has made tremendous strides with a lot of safe & effective skin tightening treatments developed.Skin-tightening treatments are generally non-surgical, affordable, and have a quick recovery time.
In this article, we will discuss different types of skin-tightening procedures and other important things you should know before going for any of such procedures.
Types of Skin Tightening Procedures
- IPL Photofacial: Intense Pulsed Light or IPL therapy is an FDA-cleared skin treatment in which multiple wavelengths of light are delivered to the layers of your skin.
This therapy is often combined with radiofrequency to produce younger-looking skin which is firmer and tightened. Cosmetic surgeons at medical spa miami suggest the recovery period could be around two to four weeks.
- Ultherapy: Ultherapy is another FDA-approved cosmetic treatment utilizing non-surgical ultrasound technology to tighten the skin on the face, neck, and chest. It stimulates collagen production in the skin by using focused pulsing heat energy to lift the skin and reduce the signs of lines and wrinkles.
- Radiofrequency Therapy: Also known as radiofrequency skin tightening, it’s a noninvasive procedure that uses energy waves to heat the deep layer of the skin, known as the dermis. These waves then boost collagen production in the skin, which is an essential protein our body produces for the functioning of the skin. This is the protein that prevents the sagging of the skin.
- Laser Treatment: Laser skin tightening is amongst the most effective treatments for loose and crepey skin on the face, neck, chest, and stomach. This minimally invasive procedure makes use of laser energy to heat the deep layers of the skin to boost elastin and collagen production, which improves the tone and texture of the skin.
Why Consider Non-surgical Skin Tightening Options?
Below are the reasons why you should consider skin-tightening treatments:
- These are noninvasive or minimally invasive cosmetic procedures that are less painful as compared to surgical procedures and might produce similar results.
- The recovery period is a mere couple of weeks.
- Ideal option to tighten mild to moderately loose skin.
- Low risk of side effects
- Less expensive
How to Know If I Am a Good Candidate for Skin Tightening?
Skin tightening treatments are best suited for those with mild to moderate skin laxity and do not consider going under the knife. Moreover, people who don’t need dramatic lifting and skin removal can opt for a non-surgical treatment.
To figure out whether you’re an ideal candidate for skin tightening, it is advised to consult a board-certified cosmetic surgeon to discuss your expectations, side effects, and other aspects.
Wrapping It Up
Although skin tightening treatments are safer, you should consult your doctor if you are pregnant or take certain medications. Rest, talk to a board-certified cosmetic surgeon if you’ve any queries about the different skin tightening treatments.