Mental health is the most neglected problem that comes with repercussions if not dealt with accordingly. Over time, mental health causes depression, anxiety, and chronic stress and even takes a toll on physical health. Depending on the issue, many people with mental health disorders seek different treatments to regain the strength and courage to overcome their problems. Read on as we share with you the top mental health treatments available for individuals with mental health disorders.
There are several reasons why individuals with mental health issues are admitted to the hospital. Firstly, some disorders require constant monitoring of vital signs. Often there is a pressing need to control symptoms, especially when the mental health problem gets out of control, causing the affected person to become a threat to themselves or others. Healthcare professionals suggest hospitalizing the patient if they exhibit one of the following signs.
- The symptoms related to the issue have been exacerbated.
- The patient is hallucinating or exhibiting extremely delusional behavior.
- Talking about suicide or having suicidal thoughts.
- Poor physical health.
- Not able to maintain a proper diet and hygiene.
The duration of the hospital stay and the specific treatment you receive will be decided by your healthcare provider according to the issue that’s being addressed.
Inpatient and Outpatient Treatments
Seeking treatment at inpatient facilities works best for individuals who are suffering from mental health disorders for a long time and require constant supervision. Most healthcare clinics also provide inpatient treatment programs. The most common treatments provided include psychotherapy, medication, group therapy, recreational therapies, and healthy activities like exercise and yoga. Many inpatient healthcare facilities also offer executive services like gourmet food, private treatment rooms, workout facilities, and many more.
On the other hand, outpatient mental health treatments only require patients to visit during certain days of the week. Mental healthcare providers at Enhance Health Group suggest that outpatient treatment is ideal for individuals suffering from mild symptoms, who can carry out daily activities on their own, and have the support required to cope with the mental health challenges. There are a plethora of healthcare clinics and hospitals providing treatment for mental health issues so you can choose the ones you are comfortable with. Several treatment types are offered in the outpatient setting which we will be exploring later on.
This effective treatment method is used in both inpatient and outpatient settings. In psychotherapy, you are open to discussing your mental health issues and problems with a therapist who will guide you in coping with the problems. The different types of psychotherapies include the following.
- Individual therapy is where one-on-one sessions are conducted between the therapist and the patient to discuss unresolved issues and feelings associated with trauma. The goal of this type of therapy is to find a resolution and come up with strategies that can help you in overcoming the issues.
- Family therapy is also offered to people who have a mental disorder running in the family or to an individual who needs family support to control their symptoms.
- Group therapy sessions are offered to people who are mostly suffering from negative thoughts, aggressive behavior, social distrust, or depression. These sessions focus on discussing a topic, hearing everyone’s opinion about the issue, and coming up with a solution while learning from everyone else’s experience.
- Interpersonal therapy addresses mental health issues that arise due to unhealthy relationships. The certified therapist will counsel couples to reduce depression and cope with the situation.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy is a common type of treatment that is offered to train individuals to get rid of negative thoughts that cloud their judgment and trigger aggressive behavior.
Other types of treatments offered in the outpatient setting include dialect behavioral therapy and eye movement desensitization and reprocessing therapy.
A certified psychiatrist will first evaluate your mental health disorder and then prescribe medication according to the type and severity of the issue. Common types of medications include antidepressants, mood stabilizers, antipsychotics, and anti-anxiety drugs.
Alternative Medicine and Treatments
Traditional forms of medication and remedies can also be incorporated with the treatment plan your doctor devises. A healthy diet, exercise, yoga, and meditation are some alternative treatments that can assist in controlling the symptoms. It is also claimed that traditional medicine is also helpful in relieving stress, depression, and anxiety. However, extreme caution is necessary if you opt to use traditional medicine as these are not regulated, tested, or have the required approvals from the relevant regulatory bodies.
It is good to know about the types of treatments for mental health disorders out there, but the type of treatment you receive will depend on both the type of disorder and its severity. If you ever feel depressed, have anxiety, or have negative thoughts, don’t hesitate to contact your nearest healthcare provider for assistance.