We all know to wear sunblock when you hit the beach to prevent skin cancer—but what are you doing to prevent prostate cancer? While many men may rarely think about it, the health of your prostate gland is important. A small gland located near the bladder, the prostate plays an important role in the proper urinary and sexual health of men. It’s also one of the most common sources of cancer for men in the United States. Luckily, there are many things you can do—such as taking prostate health supplements like Prostate 911—to protect your prostate health and improve your overall quality of life.
But what exactly can men do to prevent prostate cancer? While there’s no magical cure or perfect method, there are several lifestyle changes you can make to protect the health of your prostate. Here, we’re taking a closer look at ways you can prevent your prostate health for years to come and even ward off the potential for developing prostate cancer.
What is the Prostate?
Many people may not even be familiar with this important part of the male body. The prostate is a small gland, roughly the size of a walnut, that is found near a man’s bladder, right in front of the rectum. The primary role of this gland is secreting the fluid that nourishes and protects the sperm during ejaculation. A healthy prostate is important for healthy, regular urination and sexual performance.
Threats to Your Prostate Health
While the prostate is small, it is prone to various health threats that can impact a man’s long-term health and happiness. There are three primary threats to the health of your prostate: benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), more commonly known as an enlarged prostate, prostatitis, and prostate cancer.
Here’s a closer look at each of these health conditions:
· Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH): also known as an enlarged prostate, this condition occurs when your prostate gland has grown larger than normal. For many men, this occurs naturally as you age. In fact, some doctors believe that almost every man will eventually develop BPH if they live long enough. According to recent data, almost 90 percent of men aged 80 or older have BPH. While this condition can cause urinary issues, it is not fatal.
· Prostatitis: this health condition is characterized by swelling and inflammation of the prostate. Symptoms include pain and difficulty with urination. Commonly caused by bacterial infections, prostatitis can often be treated with antibiotics.
· Prostate cancer: prostate cancer is one of the leading types of cancer for men in the United States. According to a study by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), prostate cancer is the second most common type of cancer just following skin cancer. While prostate cancer is usually not aggressive, some cases may spread and become life-threatening—although this is rare. Taking preventative measures to prevent prostate cancer is important for men as they get older. Regular screenings with your doctor are the most effective method for catching prostate cancer early when it’s treatable.
Does an enlarged prostate increase your risk of developing prostate cancer?
Many people believe there is a link between an enlarged prostate and the chance of developing prostate cancer. However, this belief is incorrect. There is no scientific evidence linking these two distinct prostate issues. While BPH may be unpleasant and cause issues with urination and sexual functioning, it is not life-threatening and does not increase your risk of developing prostate cancer as you get older.
4 Ways to Prevent Prostate Cancer
While not commonly fatal, prostate cancer becomes increasingly common as men grow older and can affect the quality of your life. However, there are several lifestyle choices that can help you curb your risk of developing prostate cancer and maintaining good prostate health even as you grow older.
Here’s a look at some natural ways that you can help prevent prostate cancer.
1. A healthy, balanced diet.
A healthy diet is essential for all aspects of your health, including your prostate. Make sure you get enough fruits and vegetables, especially leafy green vegetables. Tomatoes and other red foods, such as watermelon, may also support quality prostate health. Why is this? These foods have a high level of lycopene, a powerful antioxidant. You should also try to avoid processed foods and fatty foods.
2. Regular exercise.
Like a balanced diet, regular exercise will improve all facets of your health. Getting regular exercise, studies show, can even help reduce your risk of developing prostate cancer. Primarily, obesity has been linked with an increased risk of aggressive prostate cancer. Of course, this doesn’t mean you have to turn into Arnold Schwarzenegger overnight. Light to moderate exercise (at least 30 minutes a day) can keep you in great shape. Some excellent options include jogging, walking, swimming, or yoga.
3. Cut back on vices.
Cutting back on certain vices, such as smoking and alcohol, can improve your overall health and reduce your risk of developing prostate cancer. Of course, entirely quitting is great, too, but it’s important to only drink in moderation. Quitting these habits will also improve other aspects of your health and make you feel better throughout the day.
4. Prostate health supplements.
To add an extra boost to your prostate health, many people are incorporating prostate health supplements as a part of their daily diet. These health supplements, like Prostate 911, are an excellent, all-natural way to give your prostate extra protection and support. These health supplements, developed with specific vitamins and nutrients, give your body what it needs to support and maintain a healthy prostate.
Conclusion – 4 Ways to Prevent Prostate Cancer
Protecting the health of your prostate is important. Especially as you grow older, men develop a higher risk of common prostate issues, such as BPH or even prostate cancer. To help prevent your risk of developing prostate cancer, you should get regular exercise, eat a healthy, balanced diet, and cut back on vices that can negatively affect your health. For many, prostate health supplements are an excellent way to give your body what it needs to promote good prostate health.