What does fighting Obesity mean to you? For most of us, it is a dream to lose weight and fit into those clothes we flaunted a decade ago. Do you ever turn green with envy when you see a gorgeous lady in a super sexy outfit? We all do, don’t we? Or a handsome man, with those super toned biceps and abs! They get all the attention at the party! It is also the need of the hour to look attractive and be fit be it at your workplace or home!
Weight loss is a dream for some, a need for others, and just a fitness goal for some.Ever wondered what should be your weight loss goal? Let us try to deep dive into this in this in the next few minutes
How would you determine your weight loss goal?
Before you set any stringent goals for that dream journey here are a few prework you may want to do to help you kick start.
- Do a complete BMI calculation -the Body Mass Index is indicative of the amount of far in your body and is measured by dividing your weight in kilograms by the square of your height in meters. For example, if I am 105 kilos and my height is 152 cms,1.52 meters then my BMI = 105/1.52X1.52 =45.44!Phew!that is quite some BMI.
- Once you have your BMI compare it with your ideal BMI per your age and sex.
- Here is an indication of BMI charts
- Less than 18 -underweight
- Between 18-25 -Normal weight
- Between 25-30 -Above average weight
- Between 30-40 -Obese
- BMI of over 40 -Morbidly obese with the highest risk
Also, a complete Body Fat Analysis apart from the BMI should be done as a guide to help chalk out your weight loss goals.
Have a realistic goal and plan.
Weight loss is not an overnight goal which can start showing results very quickly.it requires a good amount of research and homework, a good workable /achievable plan, and a follow-up plan when you have achieved your target weight loss. That is when you are in a steady-state.
Top 5 reasons for obesity.
The reason for obesity can vary anywhere from poor eating habits to hormonal imbalance or metabolic changes or merely hereditary causes. It could also be some underlying condition needing care and medical intervention. In most cases, obesity is curable by following a set of weight loss goals and a positive mind to achieve it.
Weight loss is a way of life.
Here are a few important things to remember while planning your weight loss journey.
- Most weight loss goals fail because we try to achieve too much too fast.
- Weight loss is a way of life you need to adopt and adapt to for a few years of your life and stick to it.
- It requires a considerable amount of mental and physical determination and dedication.
- It is an achievable goal and worth a try.
Are you motivated enough?
Make sure you are motivated enough before setting your weight loss goals. Set realistic goals like 1-2 pounds per week(half to one kilo) may be a realistic goal. To lose a pound you would need to burn at least 500-1000 Kcal more than your consumption each day. You may want to do this by calorie deficit diet and additional physical activity.
Let us do some math here.
How long do you think you would need to lose 20 kilos of weight naturally. What should be your weight loss goal to achieve this?
20 kilos is a lot of weight and would require anywhere between 12-15 months to lose if you diet strictly and work out regularly in a disciplined plan.
Several weight loss plans will guarantee and warranty short term weight loss, it is advisable to consult your doctor before falling prey to such marketing gimmicks, It can hurt your health and well-being and have irreversible damage to you.
Types of weight loss goals.
- Goals related to outcome or result -example lose 10 kilos in 3 months.
- Goals related to activity -example -high intensity work out like Zumba every day for 2 months.
Types of weight loss diet plans.
At this point, it is advisable to get familiar with several weight loss diet plans that are available in the digital media to lure you
- Keto diet -A very high fat, medium protein, and low carb diet which gives results very fast, By this diet you are altering the way your body is burning fat by providing more fat and reducing your intake of carbs. This process is called ketosis, where the body is using fat instead of Carbohydrates to burn energy for running its show. The macro intake is adjusted in Keto is very effective if done correctly. Please consult your healthcare practitioner before starting this.
- Calorie deficit diet -This is a diet advised by many where your intake of calories is lesser than required and additional calories are burned by physical activity like cardio or even high intensity work out like aerobics and Zumba.
- Yoga and diet – Restricted food intake by reducing trans fats and including dietary rich fiber in addition to yoga may be highly beneficial for long term healthy weight loss.
Weight loss is a lifestyle change.
As they say, you are what you eat .Merely eating healthy and running a marathon or working out in the gym for a month may have some short term benefits. It is a disciplined way of life, a change in mindset which you need to adapt to iteratively in an agile way for long term benefits.