It’s never a bad idea to stock up on Greek yogurt. As a matter of fact, it is good planning to save a few cartons for a healthy snack every so often. However, if you throw out the yogurt as soon as it crosses the expiry date, you’re draining your money. So, if you struggle to use and store your yogurt efficiently and effectively, this article is for you!
Greek yogurt may be the healthiest addition to your diet. It is better than other yogurts as it does not contain whey, the liquid containing lactose (the natural sugar in milk). You can make it at home or buy it at your nearest grocery store. Prime benefits of Greek yogurt include-
- Helps in weight loss
- Rich in calcium and vitamin B12
- Aids in boosting metabolism
- Improves gut health
- Encourages better mental health
- Helps in maintaining bone health
- Helps in reducing appetite, building muscle mass, and much more!
So, if greek yogurt isn’t already a part of your diet, add it today! You don’t even have to buy it, you simply have to strain homemade yogurt for 8-12 hours, and your greek yogurt will be ready.
Now that you’re sure of consuming yogurt daily, let’s make sure you get your money’s worth from it. Scroll down below to find solutions to all your stock problems!
Factors affecting the longevity of Greek yogurt
First things first, the factors you need to adhere to are as follows-
Any product is fresh as its ingredients. If your yogurt has fruit in it, or you have made a yogurt dish with fruits, it will only stay consumable till the fruits remain fresh.
If yogurt doesn’t have added preservatives, it will turn sour promptly. Store it in the fridge (unopened) and try to consume it by the best-by date. If it’s opened, consume within 24 hours.
- Handling and storage
We’ll address storage tips in the upcoming sections. Nevertheless, the longevity of a container also depends upon how it was handled before it became available for purchase. If it was mishandled in any way, it might not last for long at your house. If you are not sure of buying, you can always make it at home!
Let’s check out all manner of determinants to understand how long does Greek yogurt last.
SELL-BY AND EXPIRY DATE
Checking either of these two dates can give you a fair idea as to how long will your purchase last. Let’s have a look at them.
The sell-by date tells you how long the yogurt has been in the store. You can certainly consume the yogurt for a week past the sell-by date. Post one week, it might get sour and unfit to consume.
You’ll discover ways of preserving it further in this post.
As per the FDA guidelines, the expiry date is put on the packaging to indicate the quality of the product. It’s the best-by date, i.e., the date till which the company says that the yogurt will be appetizing. It’s not a safety issue, you can still enjoy it post the expiry date.
Greek yogurt is usually consumable for 14-24 days past its expiry date, provided it’s stored properly.
TO TALK ABOUT STORAGE
How to get the maximum use of your purchase? By storing it efficiently. Yogurt has more life than most dairy products like cheese and milk. Nevertheless, if not stored properly, it can harm your health promptly.
The best way is to refrigerate it as soon as you purchase it. It will last you a significantly good time post expiry (2-3 weeks). Points to remember while saving it in the fridge:
- Store it in the back
Avoid storing your yogurt in the refrigerator gate. Store your stack in the back since the temperature there is fairly low. That way, it’s lifespan will increase and you can enjoy it for long.
- Seal it properly
This is absolutely imperative. Unopened containers are sealed, so no worries there. However, for storing opened boxes or leftovers, ensure that you seal it properly. If you plan to eat it within 24 hours, you can use the aluminum top of the box itself. If you plan to save it for long, ensure to secure it in a sealed container.
- Prevent mixing and contamination
If you know that you are not going to eat the entire content of the yogurt, it’s advisable to scoop some out in a bowl to eat it. This prevents contamination from spoons. Also, avoid mixing old and new containers of yogurt as this will create confusion about the novelty of the content.
- Freeze the yogurt
Frozen yogurt has several applications. Find them below!
Frozen yogurt lasts longer. An unopened container of frozen Greek yogurt will last you for 2-3 months past its expiry date. Take care of the following-
- If you wish to store leftovers or opened yogurt, put it in an airtight container, like a mason jar, and put it in the freezer. It will last up to 1 month past its expiry date.
- Though the yogurt will be consumable for the said time, it might lose its consistency and texture. It’s recommended to use frozen yogurt in recipes like baking or smoothies.
- If you do want to enjoy it by spoon, it’ll taste best for a month.
- To thaw it properly, it’s preferable to transfer it to the fridge overnight. That way you won’t have to be concerned about it going bad.
- If you forget to transfer overnight, you can thaw it in the morning in cool water or just leaving it outside for some time. Make sure you’re timing it and eating it before it goes bad.
(At room temperature, a container of yogurt deteriorates within a couple of hours.)
EFFECTIVE TIPS AND WAYS TO USE GREEK YOGURT
- The numerous ways to store yogurt make it last longer. However, the taste will get sourer with time. The best timeline to consume your yogurt is within the week.
- Use Greek yogurt in different ways by using it as a mayonnaise substitute or taking some with you in lunch packs.
- You should take out the yogurt from the refrigerator just before you wish to eat it or you leave the house. That way it will last longer outside.
- Frozen yogurt can substitute ice cream as a healthy cool snack.
- Use it in baking and smoothies with fruit.
HOW TO TELL IF THE YOGURT HAS GONE BAD
You can determine the state of yogurt conveniently by checking the following-
With time, the consistency or texture of the yogurt changes. If you see any kind of mold on the brim, it’s time to buy some new packs.
This is the most accurate way to determine if the yogurt is fresh. If you get a hint of severe sourness, discard it immediately.
As a pack of yogurt is stored for long, gradually, whey in the form of liquid starts to gather on the surface. It’s nothing to be concerned about, you can simply mix it up. Nevertheless, if the liquid is timidly yellow, it’s unhealthy to consume it.
In a nutshell, there are a multitude of factors that determine how long your yogurt will last. It’s suggestive that you buy enough for a week at a time. With proper storage, it will stay fresh and savory. Freeze it to use in recipes and as an extra tip, mark the container with a marker for being well-informed about its date and storage.
But definitely, don’t throw out your containers just because it’s past the expiry date. Double-check the content before discarding it. The sourer it tastes, the longer it’s been in storage.
Greek yogurt is indeed a strong option to keep in your diet. You can substitute it for snacking, and lose weight along the way. So, save your money and enjoy your yogurt, it’s gonna be a healthy ride!