Our brain needs as much care as other parts of our body. You have heard about so many foods that are good for your heart or your liver but no one tells you about things that are good for your nervous system. Although it is important to take care of your other body systems like cardio-vascular system or digestive system, tips for a healthy nervous system are also essential to know.
What Is Nervous System?
It is the most complex system in your body consisting of specialized cells known as neurons and networks of nerves. These neurons transmit signals between different parts of the body. The nervous system has two components, one is the central nervous system and the other is the peripheral nervous system.
The central nervous system comprises of the brain and spinal cord and the Peripheral nervous system includes all the nerves that lie outside of the central nervous system.
Functions of Nervous System:
- sensory input, information processing, and motor output
- To control body’s environment to maintain ‘homeostasis’ For example, the regulation of body temperature
- Programming of spinal cord reflexes
- Memory and learning
- Voluntary control of movement
Here are some important tips to have a healthy nervous system;
Healthy eating habits influence both our physical and mental health. But sometimes we need some extra nutrients to boost our physical health. Brain also needs some special nutrients to perform its functions properly. Green leafy vegetables are rich with vitamin B, vitamin C and vitamin E and minerals like magnesium. And they are very good for your nervous system. Vitamin B is important to produce neurotransmitters in your body that are brain chemicals which regulate heartbeat, respiration and digestion. Magnesium helps in relaxing the nerves. Vitamin E and C acts as anti-ageing for the nervous system.
Here are some foods that are good for your nervous system;
- Fish: Nerves are protected by myelin sheaths that are composed of fatty acid. So, people who are deficient in fatty acids may suffer from damage to the nerves. Fish has Omega 3 fatty acid, that’s why it helps in healing the nerves and nervous system.
- Avocadoes: They are rich in both Vitamin K and folate, and hence help prevent blood clot in the brain and reduce the chances of stroke. They have a high amount of protein with very less carbs, that’s why it is healthy for your body. Avocados are also good for your memory and concentration.
- Almonds: They have large amount of omega 3 fatty acid and vitamin E, that’s why helps in protecting your brain and nervous system
- Eggs: They are rich with vitamin B and choline. Choline helps in the synthesis of acetylcholine- a neurotransmitter helpful in memory and communication among neurons. That’s why eating eggs is a good habit for your nervous system
- Broccoli: Broccoli is a rich source of Vitamin K that improves brain power and cognitive skills. According to studies broccoli is rich in a compound called glucosinolates which can slow the breakdown of the neurotransmitter, acetylcholine, that is needed by the central nervous system to perform its function properly, keeps our brain and memory sharp. Low levels of acetylcholine are linked with Alzheimer’s disease.
We all think that smoking is injurious to health. It has a very bad impact on our nervous system along with heart and lungs. That’s why quit smoking if you want to keep your nervous system healthy.
Other illicit drugs and alcohol are very dangerous for your nervous system. People using these things have very drastic effects in their nervous system.
Healthy Sleep Habits:
At least 7-8 hours continuous sleep at night is necessary for your overall health. And it keeps your nervous system healthy and helps the overall body to perform its functions properly.
The health experts suggest a healthy lifestyle to have a healthy nervous system. Otherwise, you can suffer from complex medical conditions associated with the nervous system. You can consult the best Neurosurgeon in Lahore through Marham.pk for further details.