10 Sure shot tips and tricks to “quit smoking” once and for all for a healthier lifestyle!
Smoking involves inhaling and exhaling the smoke of tobacco or a drug containing acetone, tar, nicotine and highly toxic carbon monoxide. It is a toxic habit that once nurtured is hard to eliminate. Smoking affects your lungs and it would not be wrong to say that it affects the entire body as well. The following article will help people who want to quit smoking. Moreover, for people who still has not planned on quitting, we are listing some points that can enlighten them about healthy ways to live their life and how smoking affects them and people around them
Why do people smoke?
A person can take up smoking due to following reasons:
- Peer Pressure
- Societal Obligation
- Emotional Distress.
- For Experimenting
- To boast maturity.
Whatever the reason is, the body gets enormously affected by smoking.
How the body gets affected ?
There are number of problems that might surround a person who is addicted.
- Smoking captures the mind and the person becomes dependent on it to work effectively. This is done by nicotine that is the primary constituent of a cigarette.
- Smoking is highly injurious to health and even the box containing cigarettes says that. It is clearly mentioned that “Smoking causes cancer”. Our lungs are soaking in harmful chemicals which in a way leads us towards diseases like Lung Cancer and can cause severe breathing problems like bronchitis as well.
- Can cause insomnia because of nicotine.
- Can lead to infertility, erectile dysfunction , pregnancy problems, and cervical cancers.
- Can create a severe risk of heart attack.
- Other problems include vision problems, anxiety, irritability, skin aging, early menopause, loss of appetite , smoker’s cough and weight loss.
- People around smokers are also affected because they inhale the smoke particles that are exhaled by smokers which are ultra fine are deeply soaked in lungs.
How to Quit Smoking ?
Once you are ready to quit the most important role is played by your willpower. “A person can achieve anything if he/she believes in it”. The statement is true but difficult to practically apply when it comes to overcoming addiction. However, exceptions are there but generally, a person falls in the trap that his/her mind creates.
Our mind is like a weapon which is the most powerful if we use it for constructive things and most destructive if misused. The first and foremost step towards quitting is preparing our mind for it. Prepare the mind to achieve what you committed for. Procrastination should be avoided i.e. you should be smoke free from the day you think about quitting.
There are two ways you can adopt. Firstly, by yourself and secondly, by the help of medical practitioners.
Below are few methods that can help you to quit by yourself.
1. E-cigarettes: Also known as ‘vape’, these e-cigarettes create vapour by heating e-liquids. Buy cheap vape pens online to get rid of smoking, E-liquids comprise of nicotine, glycerine, propylene glycol, and flavours. Buy cheap vape pens online to get rid of smoking, Some disadvantages of using vape are:
- The flavours used are mostly harmful.
- Nicotine in e-liquids has adverse health effects.
- The particles emitted by e-cigarettes are of ultra fine range and because of their ultra fine size they can go deep into lungs and can do more harm to the people surrounding a smoker.
2. Nicotine is the responsible agent for addiction. You may use a nicotine patch, gums, lozenges, sprays, and inhalers that gives nicotine without burning tobacco. The nicotine dose gives a psychological relief. But prolonged use of nicotine is not good for the body. Hence, this habit should also be given up.
It is important to know about the problems that you may encounter after you quit on nicotine but these problems are only temporary. Few of them are listed below:
- Anxiety and irritation.
- Decreased heart beat.
- Increased cough.
- Increased appetite.
- Problems in concentrating.
- Hair fall.
3. Meditation and Breathing exercises: They make you calm and give you a fresher perspective to life.
4. Keep yourself hydrated as it handles the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal.
5. Stay active: Join something where you can burn some fat as weight increases after a person quits and staying active helps knowing about our body and its functioning, it also motivates the person towards the positive and healthy ways of living.
6. Keeping the mouth busy: When you are craving for a cigarette, try some mouth freshners like gum and mints or something that you can pass your time with.
7. Avoid that “ONE LAST CIGARETTE”: There’s nothing like “one last”. It would again lead you to where you began.
8. Brushing can also be useful as it tricks the mind and gives a fresh feeling.
9. Keep hands busy: You can use stress balls.
10. Keep the mind busy: Engage yourself in some activities. Think about how many hours you have wasted to enrich a damaging habit and have earned NOTHING.
Invest those hours and guilt in repaying yourself and earning a skill.
11. Invest your time in people and try landing in non-smoking places.
12.Try spending time with your loved ones and family.
13. Eat healthy.
14. Using medications prescribed by a medical practitioner.
To quit smoking, practice the “Face It!” attitude. Do not cut yourself from the smoking society but make yourself strong and face the craving and be patient as the first few days would be the difficult ones. You should keep calm as the time and crave will pass! Congratulations in advance for a smoke free life.