The phrase ‘detox drinks’ is quite common that everyone must have read or listened it. Have you ever wondered what they are, why are they so popular and why are they even needed? This article has got answers for all such questions.
Detox drinks are the drinks made up of fruits, herbs, vegetables or other ingredients meant to flux out toxic substances from your body. They cleanse important body organs such as liver for their accurate functioning and are also referred to as cleansing drinks.
However, this is not their only role. You will be astonished to know how much beneficial they are for our body. Whether you want to become more active, or lose fat, or maintain your body weight, or boost your immune system, your ‘Go-to’ drinks are the detox drinks.
NEED FOR DETOX DRINKS
The human body inhales and consume harmful substances from the environment, but it has got special organs to eliminate them in the form of urine, feces, and sweat. However, the high amounts of industrialized pollutants (pesticides, heavy metals, gases) in today’s environment result in so high concentration of toxins that the natural secretion pathways of the human body are not proficient enough to eliminate them. Thus, they get accumulated in body cells and organs.
Now, these harmful candidates can’t sit back silent. They obviously make the human body prone to illnesses. In severe cases, toxins can even become reasons for cancer, or reproductive, digestion or mental issues. Therefore, it is essential to remove the toxins from the body and detox drinks are the best suitable candidates.
DETOX DRINKS – BENEFITS
Detox drinks are beneficial in numerous ways. Regular use of detoxifying drinks is an easy trick to keep yourself healthy and away from common body problems. Try these and experience the following beautiful changes in your body:
- Weight loss: Detox drinks speed up the body metabolism and help in shedding those extra kilos from your body. Such drinks can help in your body toning journey by speeding it up, but can only work if combined with regular exercise and a healthy diet.
- Better digestion: Detox drinks provide hydration and essential nutrients your liver and free you from digestion issues.
- Less inflammation: Inflammation is the result of free radicals produced in the body due to improper functioning of liver and intake of heavy meals. Thus, regular consumption of detoxifying drinks can reduce the swelling and inflammation in your body.
- Clear skin: Harmful toxins in the body also lead to skin problems like dryness and wrinkles. Intake of detox drinks rich in vitamin C can give you a radiant and acne free skin, without aging signs.
- High energy: Having detox drink once or twice a day makes you feel more energetic and alert in your day to day activities.
- Relaxed mind: Several drinks containing lemon or mint freshen up both your body and mind and protect you from mood swings.
Depending upon what you like, vegetables, herbs or fruits, you can make your own delicious cleansing drink or smoothie. There isn’t any special tip to prepare a detox drink; it is quite easy as you will know below. Find ahead a list of several detoxifying drinks that you must consume for healthy living.
Lemon based drinks:
Vitamin C is known to be the best agent for detoxification. A cheap and abundant source of vitamin C is lemon. It is rich in antioxidants and pectin fibers. It is the best detoxifying ingredient that burns the extra fat and flushes out toxins from the body. It can be used as a detox drink as follows:
- Pour the fresh juice out of a lemon in a cup of warm water. Consume it after waking up in the morning. Addition of mint leaves will act as an icing on the cake.
- Another early morning drink is lemon and honey in lukewarm water. Just add one tablespoon of honey in the above drink.
- You can also make ginger lychee lemon drink. Ginger is good for reducing inflammation and enhancing metabolism while lychee adds a delicious flavor to the drink.
- There is another lemon based drink that involves pure maple syrup (2 tablespoons), cayenne pepper, lemon (2 lemons), and water.
We regularly consume water throughout the day. Wouldn’t it be best to turn simple water into a detox drink? All you need to do is to take sliced detoxifying ingredients in the tumbler and fill it with water. Water can be refilled as it finishes and you can add fresh ingredients once the flavor starts diminishing.
- Add 1 cinnamon stick and a sliced apple in a jar of water. The drink has the benefits of nutrients and antioxidants of apple.
- Prepare a Slim down cleanser by adding sliced lemon, cucumber, and grapefruit in water. The drink exhibits delicious flavor of grapefruit and antioxidants of lemon. It works best for immune and cardiovascular systems, and eyes & skin problems.
- An orange and blueberry drink made by wedge cut orange and few blueberries in water has a lot of antioxidants and fibers.
You can use strawberry, watermelon, pineapple, and banana as well for your detox water. For flavor, mint leaves can be added which aid in digestion as well.
A tea can also be healthy and detoxifying! Yes, you read it right. There are a number of healthy teas rich in antioxidants. These are always advised to a person willing to lose weight. They are simple to prepare; just boil the ingredient tea leaves in water.
- Dandelion root tea – Persons with stomach ulcers must avoid it.
- Green tea – High content of antioxidants.
- Fruit tea – chamomile tea with some berries, orange, ginger and mint leaves.
- Turmeric tea –Rich source of antioxidants as well as anti-inflammatory ingredients.
Fruits are the storehouse of essential nutrients, minerals, fibers, and anti-oxidants. Every fruit has its own properties. Watermelon is good for blood pressure maintenance. Pineapple and strawberries are rich in vitamin C and hence anti-oxidants. Therefore, they aid in avoiding inflammation and getting glowing skin. Strawberries can reduce bloating and soreness in the muscles as well.
Pomegranate contains the goodness of antioxidants and hence, is good for your immune system. Whatever fruit you opt for, you are sure to get benefitted. Make sure you drink one cup of fruit juice every day.
Some fruits become low in fibers when consumed as juice. Therefore, fruit smoothies are generally preferred. A fruit smoothie is prepared by simply blending the fruits. These can be:
- Strawberry, apple and banana smoothie
- Kiwi green smoothie
Just like the fruit smoothies, vegetable smoothies are also rich in detoxifying agents, nutrients and vitamins. They are also prepared in the same way. Examples are:
- Broccoli pineapple smoothie
- Raspberry-Cauliflower smoothie
Apple cider drinks:
Unpasteurized and unfiltered apple cider vinegar is a wonder drink for our body with multiple benefits. It contains antioxidants and anti-bacterial properties. You can consume it for the purpose of detoxification as well as weight loss.
An easily available summer drink, coconut water is also rich in antioxidants and helps our body in elimination of toxins.
Even if you follow a healthy diet, you cannot avoid toxins considering the rise in environmental pollution. Their detoxification is highly essential for the smooth functioning of various body organs. The best detoxifying agents are the detoxifying drinks.
Being rich in antioxidants, the detox drinks not only eliminate toxic substances but also give our body numerous benefits like better digestion, weight loss, good sleep, relaxed mind, and others. However, it is a myth that detox drinks alone can make you fit; it is not possible. To get the most out of these drinks, combine them with a healthy diet and regular exercise!